Sunday, January 18

Strawberry Shortcake

My DD has a boyfriend, his brother lives in Hawaii with two precious twin girls.  And so of course since it's their birthday soon, they need a birthday gift.  Delivered by hand by my Sarah as they are visiting and having a holiday in Hawaii before another frantic year of Uni.

The twins are chalk and cheese, one likes pretty and girly, the other a tomboy, but I've made them similar in that they use my stash of strawberry shortcake.

The short set - is the Clover Shorts which I'm sure you've heard me say before I adore, they look feminine but practical and they offer full coverage over little bottoms.




The top is a purchased one, as I ran out of time, but I added an appliqué and sweet little hand embroidered daises, to tie into the red shortcake fabric


Apologies for the unironedness (is that even a word??)  Sarah was excited to show her boyfriend and it sorted got scrunched lol!!

And then for twin no. 2 who loves girly and dresses.  I made the Tie Dye Diva Big Bow Dress.  I've not made this one before, cause I have a huge stash of patterns and I forget what I have. I was going to make a skirt and top and I had the skirt in mind, only to find it started at a 3 and I needed an 18mth size.  So I rethought it very quickly as I only had a few hours.



It makes up into a lovely dress, though I did change a few sections.

Firstly I changed the ruffle to a 2 inch strip so that I could just roll hem it - and I gathered 3 full width strips of the fabric on my overlocker - there was a wee bit of wastage, but time was of the essence.

I also changed the bodice construction - in the original pattern, you make the front and back separately and then place the bow between the two side seams and stitch it up - I really don't like that, as you have to match it evenly at both the top of the seam and the waist and I find it bulky.  So I joined both my front and back at the sides seams on the outer and the lining and stitched around the neckline/underarms and then I trimmed and turned it through,  then I unpicked some of the main fabric side seam and inserted my bow (which I gathered up, rather than leaving it flat, I think it looks better)  and then resewed the side seam.

Then I made the skirt in one piece, sewing up the side seams and adding the ruffle.  Then I joined the bodice to the skirt on the outer fabric, turned the inner fabric under and then topstitched from the outside, so all the seams were enclosed.  I also topstitched the ruffle.

I think it looks lovely and it will be a dress I make again, as it's quick, easy and very cute.  The bow can be worn either back or front and the ties at the shoulder make it adjustable for size.


No comments:

Post a Comment